Updates in progress!
Hi! I am Jessica Baron, a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science, Visual Computing at Clemson University advised by Dr. Eric Patterson. My research focus is on material modeling for rendering feathers in computer graphics. I am passionate about the paths that the field of graphics opens up for interdisciplinary and international efforts for understanding more of the physical world.
I am a 2020-2021 Fulbrighter at Prof. Wenzel Jakob’s Realistic Graphics Lab (RGL) at EPFL in Lausanne, Switzerland. I spent time abroad, too, in Cologne, Germany at TH Köln and in Wellington, New Zealand at Weta Digital; at both places I developed tools for procedurally generating feather geometry. I additionally interned with the RenderMan team at Pixar Animation Studios (implementing material models) and the Unreal Engine team at Epic Games (implementing rendering data structures).
Overview of my research experience and projects.
- Fulbright 2020-2021
- Computer-Aided Visual Analysis of Feathers
- Procedurally Generating Biologically Driven Bird and Non-Avian Dinosaur Feathers
- Countenance Tool
- Re-topology of Human Faces
- Quad-Mesh Active Appearance Models (AAMs)
Publications from research work and other projects.
- Li, X., Liu, J., Baron, J., Luu, K., Patterson, E. “Evaluating Effects of Focal Length and Viewing Angle in a Comparison of Recent Face Landmark and Alignment Methods”, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing 2021.
- Baron, J. and Patterson, E. “Computer-Aided Visual Analysis of Feathers.” Proc. ICPR Workshop on Visual observation and analysis of Vertebrate And Insect Behavior (VAIB) 2020, Milan, Italy, January 2021. Patterson, E. and Baron, J. “Face-Specific, Quad-Mesh Active Appearance Models” (Poster), SIGGRAPH Motion in Graphics (MIG), Charleston, SC, October 2020.
- Baron, J. and Patterson, E. “Procedurally Generating Biologically Driven Feathers”, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Computer Graphics International (CGI), Calgary, Alberta, Canada, June 2019.
- Patterson, E., Baron, J., and Simpson, D., “Landmark-Based Re-topology of Stereo-Pair Acquired Face Meshes”, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, International Conference on Computer Vision and Graphics (ICCVG), Warsaw, Poland, September 2018.
- Patterson, E. and Baron, J., “Real-Time Rocks: Shader-Based Labradorite”, Educator’s Forum, SIGGRAPH 2018, Vancouver, Canada, August 2018.
- Patterson, E. and Baron, J., “Automated Re-topology of Polygonal Meshes of the Human Face”, Poster/Abstract, Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games, Montréal, Quebec, Canada: 15-18 May 2018. Baron, J., “Procedural Dungeon Generation and Analysis”, ACM Proceedings of the SouthEast Conference, Kennesaw, GA, April 2017.
- Patterson, E., Baron, J., and Simpson, D., “Collaboratively Designing and Building an Extensible Software Toolset for 2D and 3D Facial Modeling and Analysis” Proceedings of the ACM Mid-Southeast Conference, Gatlinburg, TN, USA, November 2016.
- Baron, J. and Gay, K, “Building the METAL PCB Dataset” (Poster), UNCW CSURF Research Showcase, Wilmington, NC, USA, November 2016.
- SIGGRAPH 2021 General Submissions Reviewer
- SIGGRAPH 2020 General Submissions Reviewer
- SIGGRAPH 2019 Posters Reviewer
- SIGGRAPH 2018 Educator’s Forum Speaker
- SIGGRAPH 2017 Student Volunteer
- SIGGRAPH 2016 Student Volunteer
- 2016: UNC-Wilmington SIGGRAPH Chapter President
- 2015-present: SIGGRAPH Student Member
- RenderMan Software Development at Pixar Animation Studios
- Software Engineering at Weta Digital
- Unreal Engine Rendering Programming at Epic Games
- Graduate Teacher of Record for Clemson’s Digital Production Arts (DPA) Master’s programs
- Graduate and Undergraduate Research Assitant at Clemson and UNC-Wilmington
- Math, Computer Science, Physics, and Statistics Tutor at UNC-Wilmington and Rockingham Community College (during high school)
A mix of 2D and 3D personal works.
- Pierre the Fox (Modeling, Animation, Layout 2018)
- Surfacing Chopin’s Monument
- Crossbow (3D Model, 2015)
- The Magic of Programming (Ink, 2016)
- Werewolf 2D Sprite (Digital, 2017)
- The Flight and Flames of Fall (Paper Collage, 2014) Awarded 1st place in the Congressional Art Competition for the 6th District of North Carolina.
- Figure Drawings (Charcoal, Digital, Pencil, 2018-2019)
- Philippine Eagle (Charcoal, 2020)
- Inktober (Ink, 2018-2020)
- 2020 Outpost, Armor, Hope, Teeth, Fancy, Wisp
- 2019 Build, Legend, Wild, Freeze, Mindless
- 2018 Tranquil, Weak, Angular
- Kolibir Soldier (Digital, 2019) A warrior hummingbird painting I created for the Pixar Employee Art Gallery during my time interning at Pixar.
- Bartgeier (Bearded Vulture) Study (Digital, 2019)
- Kaffee und Optik (Digital, 2020)
- The Light Within Us (Digital, 2018)
- Seahawk-Tiger (Digital, 2016)
- Official RECHS Logo (Digital, 2014)
- Wilmington Warhawks Quidditch Shirt (Digital, 2015)
- Spirited Card: Cleansing/Clarity (Digital Photograph Collage, 2015)
- Seahawk Village Shirt Design (Digital, 2016)
- Real-Time Labradorite
- Duel of Beaks: A 3D Hummingbird Simulation
- Theft of the Rewolf Flowers
- Procedural Dungeon Generation
More than iron, more than lead, more than gold I need electricity. I need it more than I need lamb or pork or lettuce or cucumber. I need it for my dreams.